I have to admit that this time most of the renovations went smoothly. The original estimate by the contractor was 50 million (about 2500 dollars) for a couple of weeks worth of work. The actual time took 5 weeks and the total came to double of what was quoted at 100 mil (5000 dollars.) When you think about it, what a great value. In Canada I would expect to add another zero at least for similar work. We have changes from 11 rentable rooms, to 6 very comfy apartments/suites. All of them have hot and cold water, air conditioning, a fully functional kitchen and a clean functional bathroom. All suites have direct access to terraces and decks and have separate keyed entrances. No need for a receptionist anymore. Now we have to decide how we want to proceed. We can rent short or long term. We still need a fridge and stove or two but those can be installed as rented.
There were a couple of glitches that actually were so humorous, I could not get angry. Two of them involved range hoods. I explained the concept and how there had to be a larger airway to take the odors away from the kitchen. They did a very good job on custom building the hoods with fans. In the first room they vented it through the wall into another apartments bathroom. HUH?? They figures that it was good enough to simply vent to the bathroom as the bathroom has a vent fan to take odors away….. Sheesh!! We ran the pipe outside and patched the wall…. Fixed.. Again in another kitchen, the simply ran the vent line to a wall where there was a ventilation fan built into the wall. the problem was that that fan had been disconnected and sealed shut. All the odors would blow back into the kitchen. I personally got on a ladder and ripped the old fan out and then told them to run the pipe outside. Luckily I returned later suspecting they might not understand and sure enough….. I found them reducing the 6 inch vent pipe to 1.5 inches and then plugging it and drilling .25 inch holes to vent outside….. Aaaaack!! Ok….. fixed but I am still not sure they understand that a range hood needs air flow.
Here are pictures of the finished project